Meet our new Boy Crush, Dylan Playfair, star of the Canadian sitcom ‘Letterkenny’. Letterkenny began in 2013 as a short web series created by Jared Keeso, and is now in its second season on the Crave TV.
‘Letterkenny’ is the furthest thing from a safe comedy, consisting of hicks, skids, and hockey. Coming from a hockey family, you could say Dylan prepared his whole life for the role of local hockey player Reilly in the sitcom; his dad, Jim Playfair, played for the Calgary Flames and is now the associate coach of the Arizona Coyotes; so he’s a natural the series ‘Letterkenny’.
Find out more about Dylan in our POP quiz below.
1. What gets you up in the morning? The smell of the grind… coffee grind.
2. Your biggest virtue? My biggest virtue would have to be belief in oneself. Believing in yourself gives unconscious permission for others to do the same.
3. Your biggest vice? My biggest vice is music…I am a music addict. I got a lot of flack for hiding headphones under my toque or “beanie” in high school.
4. Do you have a party trick? My party trick is pumping fire through the AUX.
5. How would you describe your style? I think my style is a mix of beach bum and hockey/lax bro… I try to stay open to style tips so feel free to provide some pro tips!!
6. What would constitute a perfect day for you? Wake up, yoga, coffee, hot shower, cold shower, skate board with friends, lunch with friends, Uber to the beach, fire on the beach, fire playlist on the bluetooth, water volley ball, beach sunset with friends, Uber home, watch movie, sleep, repeat.
7. What would your very last meal entail? Last meal would have to be several courses….I am thinking all you can eat sushi, that way you get a lot of options. I do not like making such impossible decisions. Food is so good and theres so many options.
8. Three people—dead or alive, real or fictional—that you’d like to invite to dinner? Matt Damon, Barack Obama, Buddha… Yea.
9. Turn ons? Beach hair, girls who laugh, sense of humor, kindness, mutual love of dogs.
10. Turn off? Bad breath, meanness, selfishness, self defamation.
11. Tell us a secret. I have a phobia of Manicures and Pedicures! DON’T FILE MY NAILS AHHHHH!! EWW! STAHHHP!!
12. Your favorite quote? “There are no failures only stepping stones.”
13. An embarrassing moment? I recently met Jack Black and completely fan boy/froze it went something like:
Dylan-“You’re Jack Black!”
Jack-“Yes I am! How are you doing brother!”
Dylan- “I love your work man”
Jack- “Awe thanks man!”
Dylan-“*akward silence*….so do you like stuff?”
Jack- ‘Dude! I love stuff”
Jack Black’s pretty awesome… We also discussed what Nick Jonas likely smells like. I guessed Butter scotch. Jack agreed with me. I am still waiting on someone to confirm or deny our guess.
14. Your proudest moment? My proudest moment was probably spitballing with Jack Black about what Nick Jonas’ cologne may or may not smell like….
15. Could you tell us more about some of the projects you are working on? I am really excited for Descendants 2 of course! I am also currently shooting a TV show in Canada called Letterkenny which originated as a web series on YouTube. That show was developed by some of my best friends in Vancouver and we have a lot of fun shooting that where I get to play a pretty hilariously over confident hockey player. I am also shooting for Travelers at the moment, a Netflix original about time traveling super agents on a mission to save the world, so that’s super fun and challenging! I cannot wait for you guys to see them once they’re done!