We met up with actor Justin Prentice, star of ABC’s “Malibu Country”, MTV’s “Awkward,” The CW’s “iZombie,” and FOX’s “Glee.” These days you can catch Justin in Selena Gomez’s new “passion project” “Thirteen Reasons Why,” on Netflix. In the series, Prentice plays the less than likable Bryce, the subject of the 12th tape in why Hannah Baker’s (Katherine Langford) decides to kill herself.
The show, based off Jay Asher’s 2007 young adult novel— was recently renewed for a second season despite having receiving backlash for claims of glamorizing teen suicide. With all the buzz around the show we couldn’t wait to sit down with JP and get to know him a little better. Check it out.
1. What gets you up in the morning? My pure, unadulterated joy for life. Haha jk. Coffee. Injected directly into my bloodstream.
2. Your biggest virtue? Helping those in need.
3. Your biggest vice? I’m really good at making up excuses as to why I do not need to go to the gym.
4. Do you have a party trick? I’m decent at throwing cards.
5. How would you describe your style? Lack of.
6. What would constitute a perfect day for you? Any day that my girlfriend cooks me a meal is a perfect day. Love me some German cuisine.
7. What would your very last meal entail? See above.
8. Three people—dead or alive, real or fictional—that you’d like to invite to dinner? Lord Voldemort, Darth Vader, and Sauron. After our romantic, candlelit dinner, they’ll have a brutal fight to the death. Ahhh, what a sight that would be.
9. Turn ons? I’m pretty in line with most of humanity on this one. Intelligence, kindness, sense of humor. But natural, little quirks are also sometimes a huge turn on: clumsiness for instance. It’s adorable.
10. Turn offs? Arrogance. Diva like qualities.
11. Tell us a secret. Brandon Flynn loves bird watching. It’s probably his favorite thing in the entire world. He’s on a wild goose chase (no pun intended) to snap a photo of the Asian Crested Ibis.
12. Your favorite quote? There are too many to have a favorite. This one is good though; “Anybody who has been seriously engaged in scientific work of any kind realizes that over the entrance to the gates of the temple of science are written the words: ‘Ye must have faith.’” – Max Planck
13. An embarrassing moment? I’m the first to make jokes at my own expense, so I don’t really get embarrassed. I’m sure there are plenty of embarrassing moments in my history, I just don’t really get phased by them. Oh wait! I have one. I once pretended to be British for an audition so that they would think more highly of me. It didn’t turn out well.
14. Your proudest moment? Winning the Gold Medal for a poem I recited in an 8th grade Drama competition.
15. Could you tell us more about some of the projects you are working on? I’m currently doing an arc on season 2 of AMC’s Preacher. Such a great show. I also highly suggest the Preachergraphic novels.